This database identifies NOMINAL equivalencies for the purpose of identifying grades that machine similarly.
You must be a logged in as a member to use the Nominal Steel Translator. Please log in here.
Don’t see your foreign designation? Questions? Please contact Miles Free III, Director of Industry Affairs via email or 440-526-0300.
- This database identifies nominal equivalencies for the purpose of identifying grades that machine similarly.
- Grade equivalencies identified DO NOT take into account process path variations, applicable mechanical property, internal cleanliness or other expected or implied requirements.
- Suitability for carburizing and weldability are dependent upon many factors in addition to grade. This information provided as a general guideline and reality check.
- More than one Werkstoffe number may apply to a single US grade due to variations in the foreign systems.
- The purpose of this utility is to identify nominally equivalent materials from a machining standpoint. No warranty is made that the materials identified are suitable for a particular application, process or use.
- Information compiled from numerous foreign and domestic reference sources. Any questions or concerns, please contact Miles Free III, Director of Industry Affairs via email or 440-526-0300.
- Machinability for carbon steel grades .55 carbon and above are for annealed cold drawn; all other machinability data for as cold drawn, standard draft material.
- Surface Feet per Minute (SFM) data are conservative adn are provided as a starting point for your quoting and estimating activity.