Guest Post By Jeff Wiltsie, Vanamatic Company.
Here is a photo of manufacturing in China.
The comment period for USEPA proposed Greenhouse Gas (GHG) Regulations is coming to a close on 28 December 2009. It is important to understand that GHG emissions are a global problem, and without global solutions, all that these “US ONLY” regulations will do is distort and reduce even further the competititveness of US manufacturers compared to countries that are not held to the same standards.
- US GHG regulations increase costs for US manufacturers;
- Increased manufacturing costs result in US customers shopping for cheaper goods;
- Cheaper goods will be produced by manufacturers in countries where GHG regulatory controls are not enacted;
- US manufacturing declines as production is moved overseas;
- Jobs are lost;
- Imports of High GHG produced goods replace US goods in our market;
- US deficit in balance of trade grows;
- Increase in Global GHG emissions as regulated US manufacturing is replaced with high emitting Non Regulated GHG production overseas.
GHG is a global issue, not just a local issue. US manufacturing jobs are the only thing likely to be reduced under the USEPA’s proposed regulations, and world GHG emissions will continue to rise.
What am I missing here? Do you see unilateral rules as being in our favor? Or is the plan to eliminate manufacturing here in the US, to Export our pollution? What do you think?
To comment :
Submit your comments, identified by Docket ID No. EPA-HQ-
OAR-2009-0517 by one of the following methods:
• http://www.regulations.gov. Follow the online instructions
for submitting comments. Attention Docket ID No. EPA-HQ-OAR-2009-0517.
• E-mail: vog.ape@tekcod-r-dna-a. Attention Docket ID No.
• Fax: (202) 566-9744. Attention Docket ID No. EPA-HQ-OAR-2009-0517.
For more information on the differences between US and China Environmental performance: http://www.americanmanufacturing.org/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/chinaenvironmental-report-march-2009.pdf
1 thought on “Greenhouse Gas Emissions- Global Problem Requires Global Solution”
Jeff Wiltsie says:
Dec. 7, 2009 – Lisa Jackson, Administrator for the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)announced that the agency had finalized its finding that greenhouse gases, including carbon dioxide, pose a threat to human health and welfare. In her statement she said, “If we don’t act to reduce greenhouse-gas emmissions, the planet we will leave to the future will be very different than the one we know today.”
The EPA plans to enter The Climate Change Debate, any action by the EPA on this front WILL BE deterimental to US manufacturing and the American Standard of Living.
This isn’t a debate about “polution” similar to the picture from China. They are saying the world’s skies are poluted and a danger to human health and welfare. This includes Alaska, Colorado, Utah, Montana, and Antarctica.
There is significant scientific data which proclaims we are headed for another cooling period. If true, summer lush green fields in the north will turn to barren lands, snow may be on the ground for the entire winter in Washington DC and the Floida growing season may stop during the winter months.
The reduction of CO2 may actually bring on the next cooling period quicker.