STATE OF MANUFACTURING – Michigan Manufacturing
by Joe Jackson
Marketing & Events Assistant, PMPA
Published October 1, 2023
Fabricated Metal Products Manufacturing is a subsector of manufacturing that makes critical goods from metal components.
Precision Turned Products Manufacturing is a subsector of fabricated metal product manufacturing that makes the components that MAKE IT WORK!
MICHIGAN ECONOMIC OUTPUT
Fabricated Metal Product Manufacturing
Precision Turned Product Manufacturing
MICHIGAN MANUFACTURING ACCOUNTS FOR
Manufacturing Is Productivity – 17.98% of the Michigan’s total output (GDP)
Manufacturing Builds Businesses – 11,143 manufacturing establishments are in the state of Michigan.
Manufacturing Creates Jobs – Jobs: 14% of all Michigan employees are in the manufacturing sector. (609,000 employees)
Michigan is eighth in the nation in manufacturing jobs added since 2021.
Manufacturing produces for Michigan!
- Manufacturing is the largest GDP producer in Michigan.
- Fabricated metals is the fourth largest manufacturing sector in Michigan.
- Grand Rapids, Auburn Hills and Detriot are the top three manufacturing cities In Michigan.
Michigan is a great place for a career in manufacturing
- Manufacturing jobs pay on average 33% over the average job in Michigan (according to NAM.org).
- Michigan created 121,000 new manufacturing jobs from 2009 to 2021, the national leader in manufacturing job creation and outpacing all other states during that time frame.
Sources: NAMorg, US Census, Michigan.gov, Statista.com, Axios.com
Data selected to show relative values. May not be directly comparable due to differences in sampling, analysis, or date obtained.