The FAA wants your comments regarding in flight Portable Electronic Device policy.
“The FAA seeks comments on current policy, guidance, and procedures that aircraft operators (ranging from pilots of general aviation aircraft up to and including air carrier certificate holders at the major airlines) use when determining if passenger use of portable electronic devices (PEDs) may be allowed during any phase of flight on their aircraft. “
Read their announcement here PED NOTICE
Why do they have the policy? Here is the current FAA Fact Sheet.
No they don’t want your seat mate to be gabbing on their cell phone the entire flight.
But they are opening up the possibility that real scientific evidence, rather than just all encompassing paralyzing fear that “something,” “could,” “happen.”
In this case I am rooting for the committee that is to be established.
We just might get some “Intelligent Management of Risk” out of this.
How to comment:
- Send comments identified by docket number FAA-2012-0752 using any of the following methods:
- Email: Submit your comments via email to vog.aaf@tnemmocDEP
- Federal eRulemaking Portal: Go to http://www.regulations.gov and follow the online instructions for sending your comments electronically.
- Mail: Send comments to Docket Operations, M-30; U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT), 1200 New Jersey Avenue, SE, Room W12-140, West Building Ground Floor, Washington, DC 20590-0001.
- Hand Delivery or Courier: Take comments to Docket Operations in Room W12-140 of the West Building Ground Floor at 1200 New Jersey Avenue, SE, Washington, DC, between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m., Monday through Friday, except Federal holidays.
- Fax: Fax comments to Docket Operations at 202-493-2251.
If enough people comment, we might just get to the point that it won’t be illegal to take photos out of the window during takeoff and landing.